Third Assistant Engineer
USA Military Sealift Comman (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
$57,216 per Year
CIVMAR Support Center
Military Sealift Command
6353 Center Drive
Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
Who May Apply:
Open to all qualified United States Citizens who are currently not employed with Military Sealift Fleet
Support Command (MSFSC) as civil service mariner (CIVMAR) employees. Relocation expenses are not
authorized for this position.
Third Assistant Engineer monitors the safe and efficient operation of engineering machinery, equipment
and spaces, enters data in logs, and reports special events in the appropriate logs. Performs routine
maintenance and repair of engine room machinery and auxiliary equipment; and observes engine/fire room
repairs and work being done by shipyard or other shore side facility. Incumbent must have the ability to
perform assigned duties, carry out instructions safely and efficiently, and take the initiative to perform
emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Manages the cooling water treatment of main
propulsion engines and auxiliary generators and any other water-cooled engineering systems. Manages
potable water, testing and treatment, storage of bulk lube oil and performs routine testing of lube oils in
various engineering systems. Performs machinery overhauls, dismantle machinery and equipment, effect
repairs to same by replacing or fabricating components, perform subsequent reassembles, operational
testing of controls, safeties, shutdowns, and place equipment in service. Participates as a lifeboat
crewmember and a firefighting and emergency response team leader. Ensures that all personnel assigned to
watch are aware of their duties during scheduled drills and participates in same; and ensure that an
engineering casualty drill is held at least once a day. Reports to Chief and/or First Assistant Engineer.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Must be a United States Citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U. S. Passport with a minimum of 7 months remaining of expiration date,
2. USCG Merchant Mariners Document (MMD) or Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), with
a minimum of 10 months remaining of expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
Any Unlicensed Rating within the Engine Department,
3. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) with a minimum of 10 months remaining
of expiration date,
4. Licensing/Certification requirements must be valid for at least 10 months:
• USCG license endorsed as: Third Assistant Engineer or above License of Steam or
Motor or Gas Turbine of any horsepower,
• STCW 95 Certificate
• Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements described above will be further evaluated.
Documented experience, education, training, and awards contained in the application package will be
reviewed to determine the degree to which you possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs)
that are essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. A rating determination will be
conducted against the knowledge, skills and abilities to determine your qualifications as reflected by your
responses to the following job related factors:
1. Applied knowledge of engineering to ensure proper operation, monitoring, repair and
maintenance of engine machinery, equipment and spaces.
2. Skill in the use of power and hand tools, measuring instruments, applications of metal and
structures, and the ability to cut, weld, braze and solder.
3. Ability to assess and complete work assignments effectively and economically.
4. Skill in computer, oral and written communication, including demonstrated ability to use
common MSC applications such as MS-Office, SAMM, LogBook, ShipClip, etc.
To earn the highest rating possible, you are encouraged to submit detailed information in response
to the KSAs listed above. Evaluations, awards, training, education, and related MSC, military, and/or
commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.
Conditions of Employment
1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysis testing.
2. Able to obtain and maintain security clearance eligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations (arranged by MSC) and maintain MSFSC medical
requirements. Participate in vaccine immunization; including a tuberculosis (TB) screening test is also
required. TB screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medical examination, but can usually be
obtained from your personal medical provider or free at any local Public Health Clinic. If you have
previously had a positive TB skin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skin test is not
required, but you must instead provide the Medical Department written proof that you have completed
treatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you have started treatment with medicine, or that such treatment
is not warranted as determined by competent medical authority.
4. Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses, including Personal Survival, which
requires the ability to float in the water for a minimum of 60 seconds.
5. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duty of this position worldwide at all times.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to work in shipboard environmental conditions, and wear protective
equipment worldwide at all times.
7. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass an English Language Competency Test.
8. Participate in direct deposit/electronic funds transfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled
appointments, fails the physical examination, fails the language competency test, fails drug test, fails to
disclose employment information, fails to report to the New Employee Orientation, or is unable to obtain a
b. In case by case bases, an applicant who accepts a tentative offer of employment will be required to
provide a VA Rating Decisions and or Office of Worker’s Compensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled
How to Apply:
ALL documents MUST be POSTMARKED by the cut-off or closing date of this announcement.
Only applications received during the announced timeframe will be considered. MSFSC is not responsible
for obtaining documents to include in your package.
The following documents are required and are to be submitted in the following order:
1. A completed, signed and dated Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF-612) to include
social security number, US Citizenship, veterans preference and previous federal employment. For forms
2. A completed, signed and dated Declaration of Federal Employment (OF-306), including Applicant’s
Statement of Selective Service Registration Status, for forms visit www.sealiftcommand.com. For
Selective Service information, visit www.sss.gov. If you answered yes to Questions 9 and/or 11; or have
current or pending criminal charges and/or charges for any violation of law, court abstracts from the Clerk
of Courts are required.
3. A current United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD), front and back or
Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), all pages and front and back copy of the Transportation Worker
Identification Credential (TWIC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
4. A front and back copy of your current United States Coast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate with
a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date, if applicable.
5. A current U. S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
6. A copy of professional certificates as applicable for this position.
7. If you are a current or prior federal government employee, you must include a copy of your separation
Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
8. If you served in the U.S. Military Service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge
(DD214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character
of Service” block of your DD214. If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran's preference, you must
provide supporting documentation such as, a completed Application for Preference (SF-15)
(http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf). Additional information on Veterans’ Preference is
available at www.opm.gov/veterans. You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating
Decisions upon accepting the tentative offer of employment.
9. Resume. All resumes will include the following information, type written in Times New Roman, 12
pitch. (See template).
(a) Full name.
(b) Relevant work experience within the last 5 years including paid and non paid public or private
sector work experience related to the job for which applying.
(c) Colleges or universities name, city, and state (with zip code), major(s), type and year of any
degree received (if no degree, show total credits earned and indicate whether semester or quarter hours).
10. A narrative response to each of the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) will be provided. The
KSA responses must also be type written in Times New Roman, 12 pitch.
11. Last 5 years of Performance Evaluations (if available) and training certificates applicable to the
position you are applying to.
12. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, Military, Government or
recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards. Submit
Failure to submit any required information to show that you meet the minimum qualifications as
outlined in the JOA will result in the applicant being found ineligible. Failure to provide a Resume
and or KSA’s as directed in the JOA will result in applicant being found ineligible.
All applications and supporting documents will become the property of MSFSC, and will not be returned
to the applicant once submitted. Applicants are encouraged to make copies of all documentation prior to
How To Contact Us: Please send completed packages to:
Military Sealift Command
CIVMAR Support Center
6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our toll free Recruitment
hotline at 1-877-JOBS-MSC (1-877-562-7672). Please also visit our website at www.sealiftcommand.com.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR THIS POSITION
WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
Federal job applicants who make a false
statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job, fired after beginning work, or
subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department
of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for
retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or re-determined
annuity for the reemployment period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e. retired under
section 8336(d)(1)or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointed to the Department of Defense
may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD
Instruction 1404bb at www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.).”
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous Security Clearance Issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one year.
Any questions relative to this issue should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at 1-866-562-7672.
COMMAND IS AN
Selection for this position will be based solely on merit, fitness, and qualifications without regard to race,
sex, religion, color, creed, age, marital status, national origin, non-disqualifying handicap conditions,
reprisal or any other non-merit factors. The agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with
disabilities, where appropriate. Determinations of whether an accommodation is appropriate shall be made
by the agency as soon as practicable, after the initial application process and shall be made with regard to
all applicable statutes and regulations. If assistance is required to complete the application process,
interested applicants should call our CIVMAR Support Center at the above number and refer to the “How
to Apply” section of this announcement.